Wednesday, October 14, 2009

redwoods grow old

My breath shows in the gray that blurs the red of the few deciduous trees. It rained yesterday. I wanted to dance in it. But, it wasn't that type of rain. And I'm not a dancer.
It's fall, purely, simply autumn as I know it. Without the usual signs that scream it. But even still, it feels so right. Fall makes me miss certain past familiarities, relationships, activities and people. I don't associate you to fall, but being surrounded by fall hasn't made me miss you any less.
I miss the awkward, scary simplicity of that house, with it's vegetation and emptiness. How much time we spent together then. Sitting in the little living room at 3 in the morning.
I miss the vast, comfortable familiarity of that house, with it's annoying dog and it's yard. How you would just show up and eat my pizza. How you wouldn't even need to knock. How we would talk underneath the glow in the dark stars. How we would watch Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and play games.
I love how I've made my side of the room my home. With pictures of people and places. I love that my comforter is here with me. I love that in three more days there will be a break.
Fall's a social lonely season.
Meant for intimate gatherings and isolated wanderings.

This weekend, I will find nature.
Trees and sky and hills and water.
I will find a place to escape to.
I will play music that I'm good at and that makes me feel good.
I will write about you.

 

1 comment:

  1. you get a break? you lucky whore.
    you know what I miss? the part that comes after watching sisterhood of the traveling pants and burritos and pissing off mollie... when we're all lying in the creepy teddy bear poster room under the warmest quilts talking about anything, everything, and all things in between until everyone simultaneously passes out.

    that and baja fresh. qdoba just can't make a quesodilla like them :(

    miss you!

    ReplyDelete