Thursday, August 27, 2009

my roots go down

Passages was, in one word, wonderful. I started out entirely unsure about my group and my leaders. When we met for an hour that first day there was only 1 person I thought I could communicate, much less connect, with at all. I ended up sitting next to her roommate on the bus ride there (where we almost died, that's another story though) and she was really nice but not overly talkative so we both napped and appreciated the beautiful PNW. I ended up hanging out with her and Helen (her roommate and the girl from my group) during the overly enthusiastic welcome. Then we gathered and went back to our "tent-place" as our English major leader LoFo called it. Our leaders, Lauren and Megan, were amazing. I've never encountered people who are funnier than them. Lauren (LoFo) reminded me a lot of Ginger actually. Our group ended up bonding really well and really connecting. We had a blast together being "the awkward group". That night we did a dream circle under the stars (my idea) and woke up around 3AM being rained on, so we climbed into random tents and went to sleep. The next day we left for our day hike over an hour late, got really lost on the way there about 3 times, but eventually hit Dungeness Spit. It's this long narrow strip of land that extends out into the sound for 6 miles. We walked and talked and ate and got advice and reassurance and laughed and it was great times. There was a campfire the first and second night with HILLARIOUS skits by leaders and corny speeches that I, of course, loved. The second night I slept out under the stars and really let myself be reassured by the beauty of nature. That night there was a Hoe-Down, it was exhausting and crazy and dorky but surprisingly fun. The third day we napped almost all day and then did the Olympics because LoFo was leading it. My group got dead last in everything and I got sick trying to do the pie eating contest. I hate whipped cream, why did I try and eat a pie pan of it? We had our emotional closing group meeting and then went the campfire. At the end of it, a leader got up and told us The Lorax. From memory. Point a) I've never appreciated the story as much as I did sitting there, surrounded by some of the most beautiful nature I've encountered (I absolutely LOVE the sound!) and point b) that's my favorite book, and hearing it was the first time since getting here that I've known this IS where I belong. Afterwards my group walked out singing, all of us arm in arm with each other and our two leaders, said our goodbyes and got on the bus. Where the entire bus sang, it was like a more epic version of that Hermiston bus ride frosh year. I was in love and napped happily. So it was really good, it was comforting but challenging and I feel like I made some real connections. And I think I really needed time in nature. I'm spending a lot of time out on campus for that reason too, because it's so beautiful that it just calms you.
I got my work study job, I'm an info center assistant. I just scheduled an appointment with my supervisor, who seems really nice for tomorrow. I have books for the two classes I know of and will regester for my two other classes tomorrow after my meeting with my advisor. Tomorrow I also audition for placement into band. Exciting stuff. My roommate leaves for camp soon so I'll have the dorm to myself until about midnight on Saturday. Today I'm busy doing my perspectives stuff (urban plunge and a seminar type of thing), but these next few days would be a great time for a phone call or a skype date since when I'm in the room I'll have it to myself.
Anyway, I'm feeling excited for school again, and for that, I'm pretty relieved. Pictures soon to be posted on facebook.
Love you all.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! i'm glad you made such strong connections already, and that you're in your personal hogwarts


    you got a work study??? hard core. i want one but i'm too busy

    keep us posted

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had such a great time Jen! I can't wait to see how you grow through your college years!

    ReplyDelete